Churches incorporate fair trade themes into worship, events and organise hundreds of Fairtrade events throughout the year in a bid to support trade justice and help alleviate poverty.
‘What does the Lord require of us: to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God’ Micah 6:8
Fairtrade is making a real difference to the lives of more than 1.65 million farmers and workers in 74 developing countries.
Faith groups are key supporters of Fairtrade and more and more churches are making the connection between trade and poverty and committing to using Fairtrade products including tea, coffee, sugar and biscuits.
Churches organise hundreds of events throughout the year and particularly during the annual Fairtrade Fortnight as well as including prayers and readings about Fairtrade in their worship.
More than 7,500 churches from a range of denominations have also worked to have their support of Fairtrade officially recognised by achieving Fairtrade Church status.
You can read about the benefits of buying products with the FAIRTRADE Mark here.
How to become a Fairtrade Church – the three goals
To be part of the campaign by becoming a Fairtrade Church, please register with us.
Your Church Council must agree to the following:
- Use Fairtrade tea and coffee after services and in all meetings for which you have responsibility
- Move forward on using other Fairtrade products such as sugar, biscuits and fruit
- Promote Fairtrade during Fairtrade Fortnight and during the year through events, worship and other activities whenever possible
Once you have achieved the three goals, please complete the Church Application Form and return it to the Fairtrade Foundation by email or post to Fairtrade Church Application, The Fairtrade Foundation, 3rd Floor, Ibex House, 42-47 Minories, London EC3N 1DN.
Once your application has been processed, we will send you a pack of materials including a Fairtrade Church certificate to display in your church.
You can also download a Welsh version of the Church Application Form and a Welsh Diocese Application Form.
How you can show your support for Fairtrade
There are lots of other ways you can support Fairtrade and make a real difference to promoting the fight for justice in international trade. And we can offer lots of advice, support and promotional materials to help you.
- Check out our list of resources and activities - email us at email@example.com if you have something to add.
- Sign up to the Fairtrade Churches e-newsletter that contains all the latest news and information about events and products which will be of interest to Fairtrade Churches and those working towards status.
- If you would like to purchase Fairtrade products such as Fairtrade tea, coffee or sugar for your church please visit our product pages for a full listing of products available.
- If you would like to order promotional materials to support your campaign, you can order materials online or call 020 7440 7676.
- Run a session for children at your church or in a local school introducing them to what Fairtrade is. Download guidance.
- Talk to your church group about the role that Fairtrade plays in areas affected by violence. This Powerpoint presentation, with accompanying notes, was put together with One World Week. Download here
If you have a question regarding Fairtrade Churches, please contact us.
Links to other organisations
The Fairtrade Foundation Churches scheme is supported by 12 organisations committed to the principles of the Fairtrade Foundation.
These organisations promote Fairtrade Fortnight every year through their own campaigns, events and materials to help their supporters and churches support Fairtrade.
Having these organisations supporting the Fairtrade Churches scheme makes a powerful statement that the leading Christian organisations and NGOs in the UK support Fairtrade as a key solution to making trade fairer for developing countries.
Church of England
Church of Scotland
All We Can
URC (Commitment for Life)
USPG - Anglicans in World Mission
Christian Concern for One World
Quaker Peace and Social Witness