With Fairtrade olive oil and red wine, these delicious meatballs are perfect for dinner or wrapped in bread and eaten as a snack.
Using Fairtrade ingredients in your dinner is a simple way of making a real difference to the lives of the people around the world who grow our food in some of the poorest countries.
Make your dinner Fairtrade this weekend, take a photo and share on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #ChooseFairtrade.
Win a range of Fairtrade Spices
Keftaides (Greek meatballs)
Keftaides is pronounced 'keftethes', they are Greek meatballs. This recipe was donated by Julia Bradbury in support of RSPCA Assured Celebrity Recipe Collection.
Julia says, "It doesn’t take that much effort to look for ethical food such as RSPCA Assured or Fairtrade when you’re shopping. And it makes such a difference to the lives of farm animals and to the people who grow so much of our food – giving them all a better quality of life."
Preparation time: 20 minutes plus 24 hours chilling
Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 500g minced RSPCA Assured beef or lamb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 slices of bread soaked in Fairtrade red wine
- 1 large bunch of mint, finely chopped
- Approx. 50g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Salt and Fairtrade black pepper
- 2 RSPCA Assured eggs, beaten
- Fairtrade olive oil (try Zaytoun)
- Place the mince, onion and garlic in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the bread, mint and Parmesan cheese. Season and add the eggs. Mix well together.
- Leave to stand in fridge for 24 hours.
- Make into meatballs approx. 4cm in diameter.
- When ready to cook the meatballs, coat in flour and fry in hot olive oil until browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked place the meatballs on to kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
Serve with green salad with feta cheese and black olives or spaghetti with tomato sauce. Or delicious cold with crusty bread – on a lovely walk!
Donated in support of RSPCA Assured Celebrity Recipe Collection.
Make your dinner this weekend Fairtrade.
Join the Facebook event
You might also like