We are looking for a Campaigns and Fundraising Volunteer. In this role, you will be working with our Supporters and Fundraising team to engage our audience of dedicated supporters with our campaigns and fundraising.
The Fairtrade Foundation is a passionate and ambitious development organisation committed to tackling poverty and injustice through trade. We are best known as the independent, not-for-profit body behind the FAIRTRADE Mark, a product label assuring consumers that their purchase helps disadvantaged farmers and workers in developing countries secure a better deal. The FAIRTRADE Mark is the best known and most trusted ethical mark amongst UK consumers.
The Fairtrade Campaigns team
We co-ordinate a network of grassroots campaigners across the UK made up of community groups, schools and universities as well as individual supporters. We also raise money for the Foundation’s work through community fundraising and individual giving. Each of our sub-teams focuses on a specific audience; Education (schools and universities), Communities (Fairtrade towns and faith groups) and Supporters (individuals). The aim is to increase availability of Fairtrade products and raise awareness of Fairtrade across the community. The grassroots Fairtrade movement has built a strong understanding of Fairtrade across the UK and inspired other countries to start similar national Fairtrade campaigns.
In this role, you will be working with our Supporters and Fundraising team to engage our audience of dedicated supporters with our campaigns and fundraising.
Ideally you would volunteer for 2-3 days per week in our London office for at least 6 months.
This arrangement is not intended to be legally binding or to create a contract.
Fairtrade Campaigns and Fundraising volunteers play a vital role in supporting this dynamic and diverse movement and volunteering is a great opportunity to learn more about grassroots campaigning while working in a fast-moving office environment. In the role, you will gain experience in supporter relations, communications and fundraising. Specific projects could include research and copywriting, data processing and email analysis. Opportunities to attend events will also arise, and can be agreed with the Campaigns Assistant, depending on your interests and the skill sets you wish to develop.
It would suit a student, graduate or any individual with a passion for global justice and an interest in supporting individuals and communities across the UK in taking action. Previous volunteers have gone on to work for other NGOs, in the UK & overseas, self-employment, further study, and a variety of other sectors including Fairtrade organisations.
- Regularly assisting in Supporter Service functions, such as managing the main email inbox for the Fairtrade Foundation, ensuring emails and phone enquiries are responded to promptly
- Assisting with the distribution of campaign and fundraising resources through our online shop, processing orders both over the phone and online
- Assisting with donation processing and ensuring that donations are thanked promptly and personally
- Writing copy for case studies sharing best practice of fundraising and other campaigning
- Helping to maintain our CRM databases Salesforce and Engaging Networks, ensuring records are correct and kept up-to-date
- Assisting with analysing communications data trends and reporting on our campaigns and fundraising activities
- Possibility to work on other research and creative projects depending on your interests
- Possibility to attend national and local campaign events
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to take the initiative
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Good IT skills: Primarily Microsoft Office package, though training will be given for more advanced features and programmes as required.
- Self-motivated and pro-active approach to work, within a team setting
- Experience of/ interest in campaigns and/or community organisations an advantage
What will you have learned / achieved by the end of this assignment?
- Experience of working in a fast-growing, successful development organisation
- Advanced office, administration, database and campaigner support experience
- An understanding of the international Fairtrade system, and particularly the role of the UK movement.
- Understanding of grassroots, cross-community, campaign activities
- Specific skills development such as web management, copy writing, events support as determined by you
- Contribution to specific projects and campaigns, like the 25th celebration and Fairtrade Fortnight
- A volunteering reference on request
What are the hours?
Flexible, but normally 10.30am-5.00pm Monday to Friday
Unless otherwise stated, positions are based at the Fairtrade Foundation's offices in The Loom, 14 Gower’s Walk, E1 8PY.
Do I get expenses?
We reimburse lunch valued at £5 per day if volunteering four or more hours in that day or over the lunch period and refund travel expenses (preferably off peak) maximum £15 per day on production of receipts or ticket.
To apply for the above volunteering position please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a completed Volunteer Application form by Wednesday, 17th July.
We regret that we are unable to assist non-UK residents who are planning to volunteer during a short stay in the UK with visa applications, finding accommodation etc.
The Fairtrade Foundation is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.