Bake your own delicious Fairtrade banana cake for a tea-time treat or to raise money for your event.
Gather your ingredients, then stir, mix and mash your way to tasty goodnes. Follow this easy-peasy recipe and get stuck in!
- 500g extra-ripe, soft Fairtrade bananas
- 400g plain flour
- 280g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 350g Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 200ml sour cream
- 3 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 230g Fairtrade icing sugar
- 30g Fairtrade cocoa
- 2tbsp milk
- First, preheat your oven to 180 °C/350 °F/ Gas Mark 4. a with unsalted butter.
- Next, sift the baking soda and flour in a large bowl. Stir together. Using an electric hand mixer, add in the butter until the mixture has a creamy consistency.
- Using another bowl, mix the vanilla extract and the sour cream together by hand. Blend this into the flour mixture above.
- Add in the eggs one at a time to the mixture, beating well after each egg. Mix in the sugar.
- Mash the bananas and add to the overall mixture until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove from its case and place on a rack to cool.
- Serve your cake warm or without icing.
- For the optional chocolate icing, sift the icing sugar and combine with butter, sugar, cocoa and milk. Beat until smooth. Once the cake has cooled, spread evenly and serve.