Bake your own delicious Fairtrade chocolate cupcakes for a tea-time treat or to raise money for your event
Put your culinary skills to the test and whip up our cupcake recipe for a bake-sale bonanza. Follow this easy-peasy recipe and get stuck in!
Makes 20 – 25
- 85g soft unsalted butter
- 250g Fairtrade light brown sugar
- 165g Fairtrade dark baking chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), melted
- 4 eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100ml whole milk
- 250g Fairtrade dark baking chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), melted
- 250g soft unsalted butter
- 600g Fairtrade icing sugar
- 50ml double cream
What you’ll need:
- Two muffin or deep cupcake trays
- Cupcake cases
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Cream the butter and sugar using an electric beater until pale and fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate to the sugar and butter
mixture and combine.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly.
- Add the flour and the milk and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Use a spatula to fold the batter a few times to reduce the amount of air in the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake cases until they are half-full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then put on a cooling rack.
To make the buttercream:
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in short bursts, ensuring it doesn’t burn. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, add the butter, icing sugar and cream. Mix with an electric beater until smooth.
- Ice each cupcake with buttercream and decorate as desired.
Thank you to our friends at Divine for this recipe. All Divine products are Fairtrade – why not try using Divine Chocolate Baking Bars in your recipe?
*You can use milk chocolate as an alternative.