Add a splash of sustainability to your cereal with this delicious, nutritious and fair homemade vegan milk.
Be it for environmental, animal welfare or health related reasons, many of us are ditching dairy and opting for plant-based alternatives in our beverages, breakfast bowls and bakes.
Of all dairy alternatives, almond milk has by far enjoyed the biggest surge in popularity over the past decade, with major retailers reporting sales increases of up to ten percent per year.
Unfortunately, at present there are no Fairtrade certified almond milks available, however you can use Fairtrade almonds to make your own instead. Zaytoun source their almonds from smallholder farmers in Palestine who pick and shell their almonds by hand. Producing your own nutritious, delicious and sustainable Fairtrade almond milk couldn’t be easier. Follow the recipe below to get started.
200g of Zaytoun almonds (available at Traidcraft, Ethical Superstore or check Zaytoun's list of high street stockists)
1 litre of Water
1 tbsp of Fairtrade honey or 2 Fairtrade dates to sweeten (optional)
Fairtrade Almond Milk Method
- Place the almonds in a bowl of water and leave to soak for 12 hours.
- Drain, rinse and peel off the skins by gently rubbing the almonds between your thumb, index and middle fingers.
- Tip the almonds into a blender and add 1 litre of water. Blitz in short pulses until smooth.
- Fasten a clean cloth over the top of a bowl using string, and slowly tip the almond mixture onto it.
- Remove the cloth and form a ball, ensuring to keep the mixture inside.
- Squeeze the remaining liquid out of the cloth, and discard the pulp (or leave to dry for future bakes).
- Pour the milk into an air tight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you wish to sweeten, simply add two dates roughly chopped or a tablespoon of honey, and whizz up again until smooth.
- Enjoy over cereal or in Fairtrade coffee and tea.
You might also like
10 Fairtrade Products you didn't realise were vegan
7 Fairtrade Switches to cut your plastic use
Banner photo by FOODISM360 on Unsplash