Quinola care deeply about giving farmers a fair price and a better future. They source their product from the Cabana co-operative in Peru. Quinola also supports workers further down the production line. Their products are packed in Le Havre in France by people with learning difficulties. If you haven’t guessed, the photo above is of the beautiful quinoa plant!
Quinoa is an incredibly nutritious grain containing all nine essential amino acids. NASA feeds quinoa to their astronauts on long space missions! Check out these two delicious quinoa salad recipes.
Quinoa, Pear and Nut Salad
This quick and easy salad recipe is the perfect nutritious centre-piece for a summer picnic.
Serves 2 to 4:
- 1 pack Quinola Mothergrain Fairtrade red quinoa
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1/2 pear
- 1 small onion
- A few lettuce leaves
- 2 tsp Fairtrade honey from Hilltop Honey
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and Fairtrade black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 cup of Liberation Fairtrade nuts
- 6 tbsp Zaytoun Fairtrade olive oil
- Cook the quinoa as per the packet instructions
- While it is cooking, chop the pear, finely chop the onion and crush the garlic in preparation
- Make the dressing by mixing the honey, olive oil, mustard, crushed garlic and vinegar together in a jar or small bowl
- Put the cooked quinoa in a large serving bowl, then add the onion nuts and lettuce
- Pour over the dressing to taste
Quinoa, Courgette and Almond Salad
- 1 pack of Quinola Mothergrain Express Fairtrade Quinoa
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 courgette
- 2 large or 3 small tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of flaked almonds (toasted if preferred)
- 25cl Zaytoun organic Fairtrade olive oil
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander
- Slice the courgette lengthways using a veg peeler
- Add the olive oil and the juice of the lemon and lime
- Put the quinoa in a serving bowl
- Chop the tomatoes and add to quinoa
- Add the courgette mixture to the serving bowl, then sprinkle the almonds and coriander over the top
You might also like
|Where to Buy Fairtrade Grains, Rice and Cereals|
A global range of grains and cereals to add fibre to your Fairtrade diet!
|How to grow quinoa|
It’s one of a few special grains that are complete proteins, which means they contains all nine of the essential amino acids. So how do you grow it?
|Follow us on social media|
Support Fairtrade when you follow, share or like our social posts.
Sign up to emails
Sign up to email updates from Fairtrade to hear about products, petitions, competitions and more.