For the Shortbread
250g plain flour
200g chilled unsalted butter (cubed)
100g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
1/2 tsp Fairtrade Vanilla Essence
Pinch of salt
For the salted peanut & honeycomb caramel layer
1 can condensed milk (379g)
3 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
2 tbsp Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Dark Brown Sugar
80g Fairtrade salted peanuts (chopped)
3 tbsp honeycomb pieces
For the chocolate topping
300g Fairtrade dark chocolate (chopped)
Star shaped sugar sprinkles to decorate (optional)
How to make this recipe
1. Heat the oven to 160C (140C fan) and line the baking tin with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl, rub together flour and butter using your hands until the texture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then add sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt.
3. Transfer the mixture into a lined baking tray and press firmly using the back of the spoon. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin.
4. Make the caramel by placing all the ingredients in a small pan. Heat gently until it simmers, then stir continuously for 5 minutes until it thickens. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
5. Sprinkle chopped salted peanuts and honeycomb pieces on top of the shortbread then pour the caramel over the top. Leave to cool completely.
6. Place the dark chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow it to melt.
7. Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the caramel and allow it to set completely.
8. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Check out the baker
Thanks to Anna Wierzbinska for creating the recipe. Find more of her recipes on Anna’s website.
Tate & Lyle sugar is widely available – look for the Fairtrade Mark on pack. Find Fairtrade vanilla online or from Waitrose. You can buy Fairtrade peanuts online and from Sainsburys. There is a lot of Fairtrade dark chocolate readily available, try Green & Blacks, or own brand bars from Waitrose, Co-op and M&S. Always check for the Fairtrade Mark.