For the Shortbread
- 250g plain flour
- 200g chilled unsalted butter (cubed)
- 100g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Fairtrade Vanilla Essence
- Pinch of salt
For the salted peanut & honeycomb caramel layer
- 1 can condensed milk (379g)
- 80g butter
- 3 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Dark Brown Sugar
- 80g Fairtrade salted peanuts (chopped)
- 3 tbsp honeycomb pieces
For the chocolate topping
- 300g Fairtrade dark chocolate (chopped)
- 50g butter
- Star shaped sugar sprinkles to decorate (optional)
How to make this recipe
- Heat the oven to 160C (140C fan) and line the baking tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, rub together flour and butter using your hands until the texture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then add sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Transfer the mixture into a lined baking tray and press firmly using the back of the spoon. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Make the caramel by placing all the ingredients in a small pan. Heat gently until it simmers, then stir continuously for 5 minutes until it thickens. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped salted peanuts and honeycomb pieces on top of the shortbread then pour the caramel over the top. Leave to cool completely.
- Place the dark chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow it to melt.
- Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the caramel and allow it to set completely.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Check out the baker
Thanks to Anna Wierzbinska for creating the recipe. Find more of her recipes on Anna’s website.
Tate & Lyle sugar is widely available – look for the Fairtrade Mark on pack. Find Fairtrade vanilla online or from Waitrose. You can buy Fairtrade peanuts online and from Sainsburys. There is a lot of Fairtrade dark chocolate readily available, try Green & Blacks, or own brand bars from Waitrose, Co-op and M&S. Always check for the Fairtrade Mark.