Using Fairtrade ingredients in your dinner is a simple way of making a real difference to the lives of the people around the world who grow our food in some of the poorest countries.
Make your dinner Fairtrade this weekend, take a photo and share on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #ChooseFairtrade.
Mozambican Chicken Pilaff
This recipe was shared with us by Bart. It is a Mozambican rice dish, simple to make and full of flavour it uses lots of Fairtrade spices to give it a unique, delicious taste. Don’t eat chicken? Replace it with a white fish or tofu.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 2 to 4
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
- 500g boneless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp Bart Fairtrade organic turmeric
- 1 tsp Bart Fairtrade organic ginger
- 1 Bart Fairtrade organic cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Bart Fairtrade organic cardamom
- 6 Bart Fairtrade organic cloves
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp Bart Garlic in Sunflower Oil
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Pinch of Bart Fairtrade organic ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Bart Fairtrade organic black peppercorns, roughly crushed
- Salt to taste
- 200g basmati rice, rinsed & soaked
- 200ml coconut milk
- 50g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan. Add the onions and cook gently until beginning to soften, but do not allow to brown. Add the chicken and stir-fry until coloured.
- Add the turmeric, ginger, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and cloves and stir for a minute. Add the tomatoes and stock then stir in the garlic, pinch of cinnamon, sugar, black pepper and salt. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the drained rice and coconut milk and cook on a low heat, stirring from time to time, for 10-15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Scatter over the cashew nuts and serve.
You might also like
Most people are familiar with Fairtrade, so why do the same misconceptions about what it is and how it actually works keep cropping up?
|Follow us on social media|
Support Fairtrade when you follow, share or like our social posts.
Sign up to email updates from Fairtrade to hear about products, petitions, competitions and more.