Spiced with a mix of Fairtrade peppercorns, these flatbreads are easy to make and can be filled with meat, salads or veggies for a nutritious dinner or lunch on the go.
Using Fairtrade ingredients in your dinner is a simple way of making a real difference to the lives of the people around the world who grow our food in some of the poorest countries.
Make your dinner Fairtrade this weekend, take a photo and share on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #ChooseFairtrade.
Fairtrade 4 Pepper Flatbreads
Preparation time: 15 mins plus 30 for resting
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 500g strong white bread flour + extra for dusting
- 1/2 level tablespoon Steenbergs sea salt
- 7g sachets of dried yeast
- ½ tablespoon Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 325 ml lukewarm water
- 2tsp Steenbergs organic Fairtrade 4 Colour Peppercorn Mix
- Place the flour, Steenbergs 4 Colour Peppercorn Mix and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the yeast, caster sugar, olive oil, and water into a jug and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the warm water mixture. With a fork make little circles in the water gradually bringing in more flour from the sides until you have a dough.
- Flour a work surface and knead the dough until soft and elastic. Clean and flour the mixing bowl, return the dough to the bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 mins.
- Place a griddle pan on the heat.
- Knock back the dough by kneading it for another 2 minutes, divide into 8 equal portions and roll out flat with a rolling pin. Cook the flatbreads in the griddle pan on a high heat until coloured on both sides.
- Serve filled with meat, salads or roasted vegetables or enjoy as an accompaniment to Middle Eastern or Asian dishes.
Make your dinner this weekend Fairtrade.