These epic vegan pancakes use the best Fairtrade ingredients and are the perfect weekend indulgence.
This recipe was created for Fairtrade by cooking duo SO VEGAN.
‘We both remember growing up as kids and first learning about the challenges faced by banana and coffee farmers around the world.
‘Fairtrade has always played a big role in our lives – and more recently we’ve discovered the biggest threat faced by farmers around the world right now is the climate crisis.
‘Choosing Fairtrade means more money goes to farmers, which in turn means they can better adapt to changing weather conditions and adopt more eco-friendly farming practices.
‘For us, this means switching to the likes of Fairtrade coffee, bananas, sugar and chocolate – and putting them to good use like in these EPIC pancakes.
Makes 12 pancakes
- 1 ripe Fairtrade banana
- 200ml plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Fairtrade light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tbsp Fairtrade cocoa powder
- 160g plain flour
- Oil or vegan butter for frying
- 90g Fairtrade vegan-friendly dark chocolate
- In a mixing bowl, mash the banana using a fork until smooth and runny.
- Next add the plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar to the bowl and stir.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and flour and combine until mostly smooth. If the batter is too thick simply stir another splash of plant-based milk into the batter.
- Heat a little oil or vegan butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, spoon 2 tablespoons of the pancake batter into the pan and use a spoon to ease the edges into a perfect circle.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes, or until the edges look cooked, then flip the pancake onto the other side and fry for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat this step with the remaining batter to make the rest of the pancakes.
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the pancakes to serve. Enjoy!
Roxy and Ben, aka SO VEGAN, are on a mission to make it simple for everyone to eat more plants by creating delicious vegan food that’s also fuss-free.
Photo credit: Pradeep Javedar via Unsplash