This one-tray vegan wonder is perfect for a tea-time treat or to raise money for your Fairtrade Fortnight event.
This recipe was created for Fairtrade by cooking duo SO VEGAN.
Some things to know about this recipe:
- It uses delicious Percol Fairtrade Coffee, a smooth Columbian roast with berry and citrus notes.
- It’s important to use soya milk to create the vegan buttermilk. Other types of plant-based milk might not curdle to give you the creamy texture.
- If you can’t find golden caster sugar, you can use regular caster sugar instead. Golden caster sugar is unrefined and has a slightly more caramel flavour.
- The cinnamon and nutmeg compliment the bittersweet flavour from the cocoa and coffee.
- Finally, get creative! Add your favourite toppings such as nuts or chocolate chips!
For the cake:
- 6 tbsp Fairtrade Percol smooth ground coffee
- 100ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 300g Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 320g plain flour
- 80g Fairtrade cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp Fairtrade ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Fairtrade ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 300g vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
- Handful of pecans
For the coffee buttercream:
- 400g Fairtrade icing sugar
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
- You will also need a tray (sheet pan) approximately 32cm x 22cm.
- First, add the ground coffee to a coffee press and cover with 250ml of hot water. Stir, leave to brew for 4 minutes, then push the plunger down and transfer the coffee to a jug.
- Next transfer the soya milk and apple cider vinegar to a small bowl, stir and set to one side to allow the mixture to curdle into vegan buttermilk.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F and line a sheet pan with baking paper.
- Next add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Melt the vegan margarine in a microwave or on the hob then add it to the dry ingredients along with the vegan buttermilk from earlier, vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of coffee. Stir until the cake mix is fully combined, then pour it into the prepared sheet pan and even out with a spatula. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once finished baking, remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool fully.
- To make the coffee buttercream add the icing sugar, margarine and vanilla extract to either a large bowl (if making by hand) or a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of the coffee from earlier and mix with a whisk or process in the food processor until smooth. Note; add 1 – 2 teaspoons of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Top the cake with the buttercream and spread it out evenly. To finish, finely chop the pecans and sprinkle them all over.
- Finally, time to slice the cake into squares and devour. So delicious!
Roxy and Ben, aka SO VEGAN, are on a mission to make it simple for everyone to eat more plants by creating delicious vegan food that’s also fuss-free.
Follow them on Instagram:
This recipe has been shared as part of our Fairtrade Fortnight 2022 Choose The World You Want festival.