by Katy O’Brien
Sprinkle, slice and spread your way to a fairer world with these eight delicious sweet and savoury Fairtrade combinations to fill your pancakes this Pancake Day.
1. Classic sugar and lemon
The classic sweet topping. Try dark sugar for a more treacly flavour, or choose white caster sugar for the traditional child-friendly taste. Either way, make sure the sugar is Fairtrade to ensure the farmers received fair pay and the additional Fairtrade Premium. Sweet!
- Fairtrade sugar is widely available from Co-op, Waitrose, Ocado and Tate & Lyle. Check for the FAIRTRADE Mark.
2. Banana, honey and cinnamon
A match made in pancake heaven! Slice Fairtrade banana along the middle of your pancake and drizzle a little Fairtrade honey over the top, roll it up, zigzag a little more honey and finish with a sprinkling of Fairtrade cinnamon. If you’re feeling indulgent, serve with cream in a pancake stack.
- Fairtrade bananas are widely available. Co-op, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Ocado sell only Fairtrade bananas.
- Hilltop Fairtrade Honey is available from Waitrose, or choose from a selection online at Ethical Superstore. Check for the FAIRTRADE Mark.
- Barts Fairtrade ground cinnamon is available in Waitrose.
3. Peanut butter and jam
A controversial combination – Do you love it or hate it? If you love it, make sure the peanut butter and jam are Fairtrade and you’ll spread the love all the way back to the farmers who grew the peanuts, sugar and fruit. Spread a layer of each over the pancake. Add sliced Fairtrade banana (optional), then roll it up and enjoy!
- Fairtrade peanut butter from Ethical Superstore, Fairtrade peanut butter from Traidcraft and Amazon
- A selection of Fairtrade jams are available in M&S and Sainsbury’s. Check for the FAIRTRADE Mark.
- Fairtrade bananas are widely available as detailed above.
4. Vanilla ice cream and Honey
Put a scoop vanilla ice cream in the centre of the pancake as soon as it’s out of the pan so it melts a little, then drizzle over honey (add sliced strawberries and Fairtrade banana if you like). Fold the edges of the pancake into the middle before slicing like a cake and devouring! Perfect for those with a sweet tooth. (Optional – top with toasted sesame seeds.)
- Try Waitrose Duchy Organic Fairtrade vanilla ice cream from Waitrose and Ocado, or Ben & Jerry’s vanilla, widely available.
- Fairtrade honey, as above.
5. Vegan chocolate spread and banana
For a dairy-free option, cook your pancake in oil rather than butter then thinly spread the chocolate over half of the pancake and put a line of sliced Fairtrade banana down the middle. Roll up and enjoy! Also delicious with raspberries, strawberries, chopped Fairtrade nuts and Fairtrade dairy-free ice cream.
- Vego vegan chocolate spread from Ethical Superstore and Holland & Barrett
- Ben & Jerry’s dairy-free ice cream is Fairtrade, delicious and widely available
- Bananas, as above
6. Dark chocolate ice cream and caramelised almonds
Chop the almonds while the pancake is cooking. As soon as the pancake is out of the pan, put Fairtrade dark chocolate ice cream along the middle, sprinkle generously with chopped nuts, add raspberries or sliced Fairtrade banana if you like, then roll up, drizzle with Fairtrade honey (optional) and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.
- Try Waitrose No.1 Santo Domingo Chocolate Ice Cream – all the cocoa in Waitrose own brand products is Fairtrade certified.
- Zaytoun caramelised Fairtrade almonds available online from Traidcraft.
- Honey and bananas as above.
7. Dried fruit and very dark chocolate
While the pancake is cooking, chop the dried fruit and grate or chop the dark chocolate. While still in the pan, sprinkle the chocolate over the pancake and allow it to melt just slightly. Remove from the pan, sprinkle with dried fruit then roll it up, dust the top with Fairtrade icing sugar and eat while still warm.
- There are lots of amazing very dark chocolate options. Try Divine 85%, Green & Black’s 85% or Waitrose No.1 Ecuador Dark Chocolate 90%. M&S have a single origin 100% cocoa Fairtrade bar for a very, very dark chocolate for serious fans of the dark side.
- Tropical Wholefoods dried Fairtrade apricot, mango and pineapple are available to buy online: Tropical Wholefoods from Ethical Superstore
- Tate & Lyle Fairtrade icing sugar is widely available
8. Olive oil, honey & balsamic vinegar with smoked cheese and pear
The savoury pancake option. Thinly slice the pear and smoked cheese while the pancake cooks. When it’s ready, add a thin layer of pear and cheese along the middle of the pancake – season with salt and pepper and drizzle with honey. Fold in the edges of the pancake and zigzag a little rich balsamic vinegar and Fairtrade olive oil along the top. (Optional – add crispy bacon.)
- Zaytoun Fairtrade Olive Oil is available to buy in store at Oxfam and online: Zaytoun Fairtrade Olive Oil from Traidcraft and Zaytoun Fairtrade Olive Oil from Ethical Superstore
Happy pancake day! Share your photos on social using the hashtag #ChooseFairtrade.
Photo credits: Anthony DELANOIX and Iva Rajović via Unsplash
You might also like
Bake a Difference with these 20 Fairtrade Baking Ingredients23 February, 2019
It’s easy to forget when we’re baking, that the ingredients we use have been grown in countries around the world – planted, tended, picked and cared-for by someone as part of their job. To think that they might not have been paid fairly for this work is almost unimaginable.
Fairtrade Banana Cake Recipe2 January, 2019
Gather your ingredients, then stir, mix and mash your way to tasty goodnes. Follow this easy-peasy recipe and get stuck in!